Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you claim expenses if you ran for a municipal election

One of 4 candidates running for the position of may in my town did not win but have campaign materials like posters buttons ect and wondering if I can claim these expenses on my income tax.  If so where do I enter them

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The CRA does not offer tax relief for personal expenses. In addition, contributions to local mayoral campaigns do not qualify for the political donation tax credit. Therefore, this expense does not qualify for a tax credit or deduction. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

The CRA does not offer tax relief for personal expenses. In addition, contributions to local mayoral campaigns do not qualify for the political donation tax credit. Therefore, this expense does not qualify for a tax credit or deduction. 

So do I understand correctly that if an individual ran for office then any expenses incurred in doing so are considered as personal expenses and therefore not tax deductible?

My basic understanding is if you put out money and are successful in obtaining a public post the expenses should be allowed because you will be getting income from that position.