Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spoty

Capital Cost for Photography Equipment

I'm trying to figure out the classes for my photography equipment. Would a camera >$1000 be classified in class 10 or 8?  Do camera lenses qualify for class 10? I have a $3000 lens and a $600 lens trying to figure out which class they belong in. Thanks! 

1 Reply

Capital Cost for Photography Equipment

You would still use Class 8 for every piece of equipment, except that there would only be one asset in that class. Class 10 cannot be used in this case because it is used for vehicles under $30,000 or computer hardware purchased at a certain period of time before 2005. Since you have 4 different items over $500 which wear out at their own pace, it is advisable to submit each tool in its own Class 8 to get a terminal loss. When you dispose of the item, you can get a terminal loss because there will be nothing left in the class. However, if you have everything in Class 8, the expensive things that are replaced often will be taken out of the class, but since there are other items in the class, you won’t be able to take a terminal loss on the item.

Related Information:

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) List of common Capital Cost Allowance (CCA) classes

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.