Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amarie
Returning Member

Car purchase in 2021. Do I just enter the total cash sale price or do I also include the protection package etc.?

1 Reply

Car purchase in 2021. Do I just enter the total cash sale price or do I also include the protection package etc.?

Assuming this is for someone who is self-employed, your car is a fixed asset that depreciates over time, your protection package can depreciate but it is not at the same rates. Considering fixed assets follow the CCA Class system, which is a system made by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to accurately claim amounts for assets that have long-lived depreciation. Therefore, you would list your car purchase as a fixed asset probably as a Class 10 CCA deduction; which depreciates at a rate of 30%. For information on CCA Class Rates: Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) - CCA Classes of Depreciable Property

For the protection package, that will simply be an expense that you deduct against your income. According to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) the expense will be under "Motor Vehicle Expenses (Not including CCA)" For more information: Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) - Motor Vehicle Expenses

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.