Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I input monthly or yearly rent for home office space? Is it total rent for the home or just the room used as an office?

When filling out the Work-Space-in-the-Home Expenses form in TurboTax I am unsure of how much to report for rent. Is it the yearly amount or monthly? Also, is it the yearly or monthly for the office space or the entire home?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I input monthly or yearly rent for home office space? Is it total rent for the home or just the room used as an office?

Presumably you are renting where you live.  You will enter the full amount of rent paid for the year...as you will indicate the amount of space used for work purposes, as opposed to the total space you are renting.  The software will calculate how much is allocated for work purposes.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Presumably you are renting where you live.  You will enter the full amount of rent paid for the year...as you will indicate the amount of space used for work purposes, as opposed to the total space you are renting.  The software will calculate how much is allocated for work purposes.