Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
melph13

Do I total my monthly heating fee to get my total when filing for a home office?

2 Replies

Do I total my monthly heating fee to get my total when filing for a home office?

When you are filing for a home office, you can claim a portion of your home expenses as business expenses. This includes your heating expenses, but you cannot simply total your monthly heating fee to get your total when filing for a home office.

Instead, you need to calculate the actual expenses that you incurred while using your home office space. To do this, you will need to determine the percentage of your home that is used for business purposes. For example, if your home office takes up 10% of the total square footage of your home, you can claim 10% of your heating expenses as a business expense.

You can calculate your heating expenses by keeping a record of your heating bills, and then determining the portion of the bill that relates to the period during which you were using your home office. You can then multiply that portion by the percentage of your home that is used for business purposes.

For more information, please visit the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) page: Work-space-in-the-home expenses

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

You will need to add up the monthly heating bills that you used for work related purposes in your home office. Then, TurboTax will automatically calculate the percentage that you can claim. 

Your total calculated monthly expenses will be entered under "Expenses which you incurred for the entire home"

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.