Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gmarven-

Do you claim full fuel expenses when the vehicle is business and pleasure?

I am self employed with minimal kilometers, how do I claim the fuel when I use the vehicle for pleasure and work
2 Replies

No. You can only claim the part of your expenses that relate to your business use of the vehicle. TurboTax will automatically calculate the amount that you can claim based on the kilometers that you enter.

You can read more about vehicle expenses for business on this Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) page: Motor vehicle expenses

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Ans:

When you’re self-employed or have self-employed income, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) allows you to take a deduction for the mileage or number of kilometres you rack up in your vehicle for business-related activities.

To calculate your deduction properly, you’ll need to keep track of your trips throughout the year, and also hang on to any receipts for vehicle-related purchases. While you won’t need to send these in with your return when you file, you will need to keep these documents with your tax records in case the CRA ever wants to know how you calculated your deduction.

If you use your vehicle for business, you might be able to take a mileage deduction.

To claim the fuel expense:

• In the sidebar on the left choose Income, thank choose Self-Employment
  • Answer the Self-Employment intro 
  • Until Your Self-Employment or Business Summary, click edit then click continue
  • Answer the information till Did you have any work-related vehicle expenses?, click yes
  • Add a vihicle for your name for personal vehicle expense
  • and Add a vehicle for business use for business use

For more information, please see our TurboTax article link as How to Deduct Mileage If You Are Self-Employed

Thank you for using TurboTax