Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
razzman89

Employment expenses for work from home office. I also have a suite, and rental expense. For detailed method do I claim total utilities, or personal portion of utilities?

1 Reply

Employment expenses for work from home office. I also have a suite, and rental expense. For detailed method do I claim total utilities, or personal portion of utilities?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax

To be able to use this the detailed method:

• you had to work more than 50% of the time at home for one month or more
  • you need a completed and signed T2200-s Declaration of Conditions of Employment for Working at Home Due to COVID-19
  • you have to keep supporting documents in case CRA requests them
  • you cannot claim any expenses that have been reimbursed by your employer

You will need the following information to complete this method:

• List of all the expenses (other than the use of home) such as office supplies, cellphone usages, etc. on lines 1 and 2 of the T777-s
  • The percentage of space used for work in relation to the total home space (if you use one room in a 5 room house, your workspace is 20% of the total space)
  • List of expenses that relate to the use of the home office such as utilities, rent, maintenance, property taxes, etc. on line 6-10 of the T777-s

Please refer to this article for an example of how to use the detailed method:

You Can Claim $400 In Expenses If You Worked From Home Due To COVID-19 

Eligibility criteria - Detailed method