Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RyanO-
Returning Member

How do I calculate business-use-of-personal items such as internet use for a web based business, mobile phone use that's used for both personal and business, etc.

Would I prorate deductible expense amount and report business use only?  What documentation would support this pro-rating?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I calculate business-use-of-personal items such as internet use for a web based business, mobile phone use that's used for both personal and business, etc.

One option would be to claim the expenses under the Office in Home section and prorate based on your use of the residence by rooms or square footage.

The other option is to perform reasonable calculation based on your actual use for business purposes and claim the amount as a general expense.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

One option would be to claim the expenses under the Office in Home section and prorate based on your use of the residence by rooms or square footage.

The other option is to perform reasonable calculation based on your actual use for business purposes and claim the amount as a general expense.