Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I claim home office expenses for income from professional services I provide as a part time consultant?

Last year turbotax home and business enabled me to  identify expenses to claim but  this year's version  doesn't so how can I  do so?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I claim home office expenses for income from professional services I provide as a part time consultant?

Assuming you are filling out a T2125 Business statement for your professional income, you can enter these in the Business Use of Home Expenses (this appears after the Fixed Assets section:(

1.  Enter the square foot area of the home office

2.  Enter the square foot area of the entire home

3.  Enter he full amount of your home expenses (utilities, property taxes, mortgage interest, maintenance, etc).

The software will automatically prorate the amount claimable for the home office.  The amount claimed as a current year expense will be the lesser of the amount calculated and your net income after all other business expenses.  Any remainder will be carried forward to next year.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Assuming you are filling out a T2125 Business statement for your professional income, you can enter these in the Business Use of Home Expenses (this appears after the Fixed Assets section:(

1.  Enter the square foot area of the home office

2.  Enter the square foot area of the entire home

3.  Enter he full amount of your home expenses (utilities, property taxes, mortgage interest, maintenance, etc).

The software will automatically prorate the amount claimable for the home office.  The amount claimed as a current year expense will be the lesser of the amount calculated and your net income after all other business expenses.  Any remainder will be carried forward to next year.