Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bryan-c15

How do I report my self-employment expenses such as gas, insurance, and tools? (I am a barber)

I have some business-related expenses that I can't seem to report in the self-employment tab. Any help would be great.
1 Reply

How do I report my self-employment expenses such as gas, insurance, and tools? (I am a barber)

If you're self-employed and using TurboTax Home and Business software:

1. Select Find (or the magnifying glass icon) from the TurboTax menu
  2. In the Find window, type business
  3. Select Business profile from the list of results, then select Go
  4. On the Business expert interview step, select Continue
  5. The instructions for this step depend on how much of your return you've completed so far, so follow the instructions below that match what you see on-screen:
  • If you see the Business summary step and want to enter business expenses for a business not listed on-screen, select Enter New Business for [Name], then follow the instructions to reach the expenses section
  • If you see the Business summary step and want to enter business expenses for a business listedon-screen, select Edit next to that business, then follow the instructions to reach the expenses section
  • If you see the [Name]: Business Identification step, answer the question, then select Continue. Follow the instructions to reach the expenses section

You've finished the expenses section when you reach the Business summary step.

If you're self-employed and using the Standard or Premier versions of TurboTax CD/Download:

1. Select Find (or the magnifying glass icon) from the TurboTax menu
  2. In the Find window, type self-employment, select it from the list of results, then select Go
  3. On the Your self-employment profile for 20xx step, select all of the checkboxes that apply to you (and your spouse, if applicable), then select Continue
  4. Follow the instructions on-screen to reach the expenses section
  5. You've finished the expenses section when you reach the Employment insurance premiums on self-employment and other eligible earnings step

Note: Make sure you have receipts for all expenses claimed (for example, for gas and repairs). The CRA may ask you to provide them to prove your claims.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.