Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to determine UCC if acquired by the first owner in 2017 and bought from her in 2020? I started using it for business in that year but haven't claimed any CCA yet.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How to determine UCC if acquired by the first owner in 2017 and bought from her in 2020? I started using it for business in that year but haven't claimed any CCA yet.

So technically you haven't owned the car. The actual ownership of the vehicle belongs to the bank, and the owner of the car that has not paid off the loan amortization has no right to transfer it to another's name. I think you can follow TurboTax expert's advice because you also didn't make a formal agreement with the bank to transfer the loan amortization.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

What did you buy from her specifically? Normally the money you spent equal to the Undepreciated capital cost (UCC) you can claim.

Sorry, I didn't make the question clear. I meant that we bought the car from her in 2020. But I was able to talk to a Turbotax expert yesterday, and he advised me not to claim expenses for that as the title is not yet under our name.  We bought the car from a relative (the first owner) and we agreed to assume the balance from the bank, pay the loan amortization, and once we fully paid the loan, that's the time she will transfer the name to us. We only have a signed written agreement for this and we are the designated drivers of the car. All other documents are still under her name. 

So technically you haven't owned the car. The actual ownership of the vehicle belongs to the bank, and the owner of the car that has not paid off the loan amortization has no right to transfer it to another's name. I think you can follow TurboTax expert's advice because you also didn't make a formal agreement with the bank to transfer the loan amortization.

Oh! I see. Thank you.