Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am a US student working in Canada, I only use my money to buy groceries. Which BC tax credits should I claim?

1 Reply

I am a US student working in Canada, I only use my money to buy groceries. Which BC tax credits should I claim?

As a US student working in Canada, you may be eligible for the following BC tax credits:

1. Basic Personal Tax Credit: This credit is available to all taxpayers and provides a non-refundable tax credit amount on the first $10,949 of taxable income earned in British Columbia. As a US student working in Canada, you may be eligible to claim this credit.

2. Climate Action Tax Credit: If you have resided in BC for at least six months, you may be eligible for the Climate Action Tax Credit. This credit is a refundable tax credit based on your adjusted net income and the number of individuals in your family. The credit is designed to help offset carbon taxes in BC and could provide you with a tax credit of up to $174 for the tax year 2021.

3. Sales Tax Credit for low-income individuals: If your income is low, you could be eligible for a refundable tax credit for the sales tax paid on your grocery purchases. The credit amount varies depending on your income level, number of dependents, and your specific situation.

It's important to note that tax credits in BC are non-refundable unless otherwise indicated. This means that they can only be used to reduce your taxes payable to zero, and you will not receive a refund for any unused tax credits.