Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am entering the Work From Home Expenses that apply to both my wife and I. Do I enter the amounts paid for supplies, hydro for both of us? Or just one of us?

3 Replies

I am entering the Work From Home Expenses that apply to both my wife and I. Do I enter the amounts paid for supplies, hydro for both of us? Or just one of us?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax,

As per CRA, this is determined by multiplying the eligible expenses from 1) by your employment-use percentage of the work space. Your employment-use percentage of the work space depends on whether you and your spouse used a single work space or worked in different workspaces in the home. For more information, see Determine your work space use.

You should multiply eligible expenses by your employment-use percentages separately and both of you can claim separately. 

Please visit the article on Frequently asked questions – Home office expenses for employees to learn more about home office expenses.

for clarity, if our total hydro bill for the year is 2500.00, we each claim that amount on our return. We dont divide in half. We each claim the full amounts. Correct? 

Hello, you should multiple your employment-use percentages separately and both of you can claim separately.