Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I drive my own vehicle to multiple clients houses in a day as a service technician. do I claim fuel costs under "Work Related Travel" or "Motor Vehicle Expenses"?

I am self employed, I have a sole proprietorship. I also exclusively use the vehicle in question for this work during the season of this work. The fuel costs that I have written down are only the fuel costs used to go to these locations. I stop keeping my gas receipts when my work season is done. Once the season is over and I have more free time I use the vehicle for my other (employed) job and personal use. I do not keep gas receipts for this time period.

what things should I be continuing or start to keep track of when it comes to this vehicle for future?

1 Reply

I drive my own vehicle to multiple clients houses in a day as a service technician. do I claim fuel costs under "Work Related Travel" or "Motor Vehicle Expenses"?

You must keep track of how many kilometers you have driven and what you paid for gas so that CRA knows that the amount of gas corresponds to the KM's travelled for work purposes. You must keep track of "ALL" your KM's work and personal use.

It would go under motor vehicle expenses.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.