Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
b-flow
Returning Member

T4E: box 14 does not = sum of the other boxes

We are getting a warning that the amount in box 14 should total the amounts in boxes 15, 17, 18, 33 and 36....and indeed it does not. We've checked our paper copy against what CRA is showing for that T4E in our My Services account (they are the same).

Did the gov. make a mistake? 🙂

Seriously though, where do we go from here?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Technically, box 14 should equal the sum of boxes 15, 17, 18, 33 and 36 but, unfortunately, a number of the T4E slips issued this year only have an entry in box 14.  Simply enter the same amount already in box 14 also in box 15 and that will deal with the error.  There will be no change to either the refund expected or to any balance due.

View solution in original post

20 Replies

what do I do now it wont read my numbers in box 14 in  T4E?

Yes it's happening to me too?

Technically, box 14 should equal the sum of boxes 15, 17, 18, 33 and 36 but, unfortunately, a number of the T4E slips issued this year only have an entry in box 14.  Simply enter the same amount already in box 14 also in box 15 and that will deal with the error.  There will be no change to either the refund expected or to any balance due.

b-flow
Returning Member

Our slip has an amount in 14, 15, as well as one in 22.

What amounts do you have in boxes 14, 15 and 22?  Are boxes 14 and 15 the same?  If so, you may have entered the T4E slip information in the boxes incorrectly in the tax program.
b-flow
Returning Member

What is on the T4E, and is entered into the program, is 7161, 5281, and 120 respectively.

Based on the numbers you have provided (Box 14 - $7,161, Box 15 - $5,281 and Box 22 - $120), it appears that there was an additional amount of $1,880 received from a second EI programme (maybe maternity leave) that is not entered in any box but is part of the total in Box 14.  If so, the quick solution is to enter the $1,880 amount in Box 17 - Employment Benefits and Support Measurements Paid (that is where it should have been entered in the first place) and in so doing, the sum of boxes 15 and 17 will equal box 14 and the error message will no longer appear.  Also, after making this entry, there will be no difference in the previously calculated refund or balance owing.
funk002

I had this problem in 2018 as well. I received sickness benefits which were paid by Service Canada and included in the box 14 total. Unfortunately, there was no corresponding entry under any of the boxes checked by TurboTax, but the amounts reported in Box 14 and 22 were correct. Box 15 does not seem to add anything that could be described as "other benefits", only "regular" benefits. Advice from CRA was to disregard the warning and file.

I have something in 14, 15, and 18. 14 and 14 are the same, but 18 is wayyy less. What can I do to fix this?