Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have home office for employment expenses (T220) and also run a small business out of the same space. Do I deduct expenses for both?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have home office for employment expenses (T220) and also run a small business out of the same space. Do I deduct expenses for both?

Yes...however, take into account the percentage of time you spend for each endeavor, and factor that into the calculation.  For instance, if your home office is 10% of your home, but you use it half for employment and half for your own business, then make sure you claim 5% of home expenses for each.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Yes...however, take into account the percentage of time you spend for each endeavor, and factor that into the calculation.  For instance, if your home office is 10% of your home, but you use it half for employment and half for your own business, then make sure you claim 5% of home expenses for each.

You will find there are more types expenses you can claim against your business than against the employment income.