Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have moved to Canada from another country to work. Can I claim flight tickets as moving expenses? If so, can I claim for me, my wife and my son.

1 Reply

I have moved to Canada from another country to work. Can I claim flight tickets as moving expenses? If so, can I claim for me, my wife and my son.

You can claim eligible expenses for a move to or from Canada if both of the following apply:

• You are a full-time student (including co-operative student), or a factual or deemed resident of Canada.

• You moved from the place where you ordinarily resided to live in another place where you ordinarily reside.

However, you cannot claim moving expenses if you rent an apartment in another country where you are working temporarily and you maintain residential ties in Canada.

The CRA allows couples to split moving expenses. If you split expenses between you and your spouse, only claim the portion of expenses that your partner isn’t claiming. It’s usually beneficial for the higher-earning spouse to claim all moving expenses.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.