Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jobar

I'm an senior who moved into a basement suite of my daughter's home. 40+Kilometers away from my original condo. I paid movers $1023. Can I claim my moving expense?

1 Reply

I'm an senior who moved into a basement suite of my daughter's home. 40+Kilometers away from my original condo. I paid movers $1023. Can I claim my moving expense?

If you have moved to a new home to be employed or run a business at a new location or a student, you can deduct eligible moving expenses from the employment or self-employment income you earned at your new location. In your question, it is not clear that what purpose you are moving? If you are an employee or a self-employed individual who moved within Canada but your new home was not at least 40 kilometers closer to the new place of employment or business than your previous home was, you do not qualify to deduct eligible moving expenses.

You can claim moving expenses you paid in the year if both of the following apply:

• You moved to work or to run a business, or you moved to study courses as a full-time student enrolled in a post-secondary program.
  • You moved at least 40 kilometers closer to your new work or school.

If you don't have any of the mentioned qualifications and you are moving to your daughter's house, you cannot deduct moving expenses.

Moving Tax Deductions in Canada