Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
s-chung1

If I didn't include my CAA membership fees in 2020 and 2021 tax return, can I include it under business expenses for this year? And where can I include it? Thanks.

1 Reply

If I didn't include my CAA membership fees in 2020 and 2021 tax return, can I include it under business expenses for this year? And where can I include it? Thanks.

No, you cannot claim expenses from prior years as "Current Expenses" on this tax return.

Current expenses must be claimed in the tax year they are incurred, If you missed claiming business expenses on a previous year's tax return, to claim them now, you would need to make an "adjustment" to each tax year for which the expenses were actually incurred.

When you adjust your past Online returns to include the expenses, you will be going in your Self-Employed return and in the menu on the left side you will click on INCOME then SELF-EMPLOYMENT then SELF-EMPLOYMENT INTRO to then answer the questions as required about your business leading you towards the expenses.

For more information, please see our TurboTax FAQ: How to Change Your Tax Return After You’ve Filed

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.