Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I moved to New Zealand permanently in April 2021, and worked in Canada from Jan to Mar of 2021 how do I file my 2021 taxes. I can't find an accountant to help me

I have not filed my 2021 taxes yet because I don't know how to take into account having moved. I worked in BC from jan 2021 to march 2021 and then moved to NZ permanently and started working here from May 2021 to present. I have emailed accountants in my hometown and they say it is too complicated for them to help me and the online H&R Also won't do it.
1 Reply

If I moved to New Zealand permanently in April 2021, and worked in Canada from Jan to Mar of 2021 how do I file my 2021 taxes. I can't find an accountant to help me

What is my residency status?
If you left Canada in April, your residency status would be a non-resident as of that date.
Since you lived in Canada, I assume there is a country outside of Canada in which you had otherwise normally lived. Additionally, you most probably closed your Canadian bank accounts since you left the country permanently and you lived in Canada for less than 183 days (January - March) within the 2021 tax year. Both of these signify that you are a non-resident for income tax purposes. 

Information on Residency Status, as per Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

How should I file my taxes?
As a non-resident, you must file a special tax return– Form 5013-R T1 (Income Tax and Benefit Return for Non-Residents and Deemed Residents of Canada).
Depending on the type of income you earn, you may need to file additional forms. 

The Canadian income you received within the 2021 tax year should be reported on your Canadian income tax return. As a non-resident, this income would generally be subject to Part XIII tax or Part I tax.

For more information on Taxation for Non-Residents, please visit our TurboTax article.

More to keep in mind when filing my taxes?

For more information, see the TurboTax Ultimate Tax Guide For Non-Residents
Information guide and forms you may need as a non-resident, as per Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.