Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I went on a business trip one month before my new business was registered, can that be claimed under my meals entertainment expenses?

I was in the process of starting and registering my new business and was invited on a trip that pertained to my business to network and talk about my services that were coming available.  I am curious if because this trip was a month before I formally started my business, can I claim that under my meals and entertainment expenses as I paid for the event ticket and have to travel.
1 Reply

If I went on a business trip one month before my new business was registered, can that be claimed under my meals entertainment expenses?

As per this TurboTax Article: What You Need to Know About Claiming Start-up Costs For New Business in Canada: “the start date isn’t necessarily your first official day in business, but rather the day that shows the business owner’s intent to start a business.” So, if you went on this business trip to advertise your services and meet with potential clients, you might be able to claim the expense on your tax return.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.