Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving expenses for Fort McMurray Fire Evacuation

Upon completing School end of April 2016, got a job in Fort McMurray after 2 phone interviews. Flew out days later but had to take several Safety courses before being allowed onsite. The day I was scheduled to complete my last test I was evacuated to Edmonton. Once there received a message I was no longer required, so never rec'd a T4 as I never actually worked on site. My expenses were around $1500 for flight, meals and temp accommodation's. After a week in Edmonton I ended up flying back to NB and got a job. I called CRA and they say it's a gray area?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

From your explanation, it appears that whether you can or cannot claim moving expenses is a "moot" point since moving expenses can only be claimed to the extent of "income earned at the new work location".  Since you never received any income from the new work location, even if you were eligible to claim moving expenses, your actual expense claim would be "nil" in any event.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

From your explanation, it appears that whether you can or cannot claim moving expenses is a "moot" point since moving expenses can only be claimed to the extent of "income earned at the new work location".  Since you never received any income from the new work location, even if you were eligible to claim moving expenses, your actual expense claim would be "nil" in any event.