Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samad2386

Can you please provide help with moving expenses? I rented airbnb when I started my new job. How to claim these expenses?

1 Reply

Can you please provide help with moving expenses? I rented airbnb when I started my new job. How to claim these expenses?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. We would be glad to guide you through, what expenses can be claimed and how you can claim moving expenses in Canada.

Individuals who have moved and established a new home to be employed or to run a business at a new location are entitled to deduct eligible moving expenses. You must be a deemed or factual resident of Canada, and the move must go from the place where you ordinarily reside to another place where you will ordinarily reside.

You may be eligible for the deduction if the new home is at least 40 kilometers closer to your new place of work than the prior location. This covers individuals who have moved within Canada, from outside Canada to a new work location in Canada

What Types of Expenses Can You Claim?

You can deduct eligible moving expenses. Transportation and storage costs are common, which include all movers, in-transit storage, packing, and insurance. Travel expenses to the new location, including vehicle expenses, meals, and accommodations for you and your family members are all eligible. To claim vehicle or meal expenses, you must use either the detailed or simplified method.

Temporary living expenses (for up to a maximum of 15 days), including meals and accommodations for you and your family, can be deducted. If Airbnb falls between the suggested time frame and also meets all the other requirements, then you can claim the moving expenses.  Costs of canceling a lease of your old residence and costs to maintain your old residence (maximum of $5,000) when it was vacant after you moved are also eligible.

How Do You Claim the Expenses on Your Tax Return?

Use form T1-M, Moving Expenses Deduction to calculate all of the moving expenses that you are able to claim on line 21900 of your T1 return. You do not need to attach the T1-M form to your return, nor do you need to attach all of the receipts and documents to support the claim, but you must keep these receipts and documents on hand if the Canada Revenue Agency requests that you provide support for your claim.

Please review the links provided below to assist & guide you with entering your moving expenses:

For further information please click: Eligible moving expenses & Calculation methods.