Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crensch

I bought a computer that I am using 50% for small business and 50% personally. Do I still claim the full price as CCA? or just 50% or...?

I bought an iMac that is sitting at home but I use it quite heavily for accounting, note taking, doing taxes, etc that's business related.

Do I add it as CCA but only write down 50% as the purchase price? Or do I put down the full price? Or is there another solution?

Thanks for your help

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I bought a computer that I am using 50% for small business and 50% personally. Do I still claim the full price as CCA? or just 50% or...?

Claim the cost of addition as the representative value for your business use. If 50% is applicable, add the addition at 50% of the actual cost. Then claim the full CCA allowed on the balance going forward.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Claim the cost of addition as the representative value for your business use. If 50% is applicable, add the addition at 50% of the actual cost. Then claim the full CCA allowed on the balance going forward.

crensch

Hi TTT. thanks for your answer.... I'm not sure though that I understand the last part... claiming the full CCA allowed on the balance going forward.

Once you have set up the 50% then the appropriate UCC will carry forward from year to year and you will not be required to make any further adjustments to the balance.
crensch

ok. thank you!

You are welcome.
KristinaKMN
Returning Member

@TurboTaxTerry I’m wondering the same thing with my cell phone that I purchased as it is used roughly 25% for business. I bought it for $1000 so I think I should claim it as CCA and not an expense. What do you think? Claim it as CCA with a value of $250 or as an expense of $250? OR do I enter it as CCA with the full value of $1000 and then only claim 25% of the CCA value? (Although I don’t see an option to do this is TurboTax)