Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tigerroxi

Clergy residence deduction shows up on both my husband's tax return (priest) and on mine. How do I eliminate it from mine?

3 Replies

Clergy residence deduction shows up on both my husband's tax return (priest) and on mine. How do I eliminate it from mine?

Go into your tax return, to Income tab - Employment Status Profile  - Clergy Residence Deductions - if you have any entries, this will be where you will find them and remove them.

You cannot delete the pages once the name of the spouse is there. You can however, start fresh. 

Start a new return, answer all interview questions for spouses. After this, click on Income, and then Employment Expenses Profile. This should bring you to the page of questions. Just click inside the box of the clergy, and (obviously) leave the box blank for the non-clergy. It will not only bring up the Clergy Residence Reduction for the correct spouse. 

For the online version, you need to click the Income tab > Employment Status Profile.

There you can select clergy residence deduction for you and then on the next page, you can input what information applies to you.

When you click continue, you will be provided with the same form as yourself regarding clergy fees but this time for your wife.

At this point, you need to leave the information sheet blank, or, she will also have the deduction.

I hope this information was helpful!