Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cesc1708

How to deduct my working home expenses?

1 Reply

How to deduct my working home expenses?

Thank you for your question. We would be glad to guide you through the process.

In 2020, the number of Canadians earning employment income while working at home increased substantially, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In response, the Canadian government has provided two temporary and simplified methods for claiming an employment expense deduction:

• Option 1 (or the flat-rate method), allows a qualified individual to claim $2/day in employment expenses, up to a max of $400.
  • Eligible employees may claim a flat rate of $2 for each day that they worked at home during a consecutive 4-week period, plus any other days they worked from home in 2020 due to COVID-19 (up to a maximum of $400). You don’t need supporting documents to claim this flat rate.

• Option 2 (or the detailed method), allows deduction of actual expenses incurred).
  • If using this method to calculate your deduction, a T2200-s form must be completed, signed, and approved by your employer. The CRA has provided a calculator to aid in calculating and filling out these expenses on your form.
  • Once you have determined your employment use amount using the calculator, you can then add in additional expenses (such as the employment use of a cell phone).

For more info please visit:  Am I eligible to claim employment expenses due to COVID-19?

If you would like to know more on: Who is eligible to claim COVID-related employment expenses?

Salaried and commissioned employees who worked from home (50% or more of the time for at least 4 consecutive weeks), due to COVID-19, are eligible to claim home office expenses on their 2020 tax return.

More information and details can be found on the CRA website.

We hope this information was helpful. Feel free to return if further clarifications are needed.