Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule B vs Schedule 1

I am a nonresident and I worked in Alberta over the summer for a few months.
I am filling out Schedule B (Form T1234) and have calculated my allowable federal non-refundable tax credits, and it tells me where to enter that on Step 1 of Schedule 1. However, it is a different number than if I had just used the instructions in Step 1 of Schedule 1. Namely, it doesn't include lines 300 or 363, which really changes my tax credits.
Which number do I use and should I just leave lines 300 and 363 blank??
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Schedule B vs Schedule 1

As a Non-Resident you are restricted on the types of tax credits allowed based on your status.

Your allowable amount of federal non-refundable tax credits is 15% of the total of the amounts on lines 308, 312, 316, 317, 319,and 323 (other than the education and textbook amounts) plus the amount on line 349 of your Schedule 1.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Schedule B vs Schedule 1

As a Non-Resident you are restricted on the types of tax credits allowed based on your status.

Your allowable amount of federal non-refundable tax credits is 15% of the total of the amounts on lines 308, 312, 316, 317, 319,and 323 (other than the education and textbook amounts) plus the amount on line 349 of your Schedule 1.

Schedule B vs Schedule 1

Great thank you!
So if I go ahead and enter the number Schedule B gave me (for federal) on line 350 of Schedule 1, as Schedule B instructs, do I just leave the other lines in Step 1 blank?
Or do I fill in 308, 312, 316, 317, 323 and 349 and leave the rest blank?

Schedule B vs Schedule 1

Yes just use the total provided on Sch "B".