Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
1lastcast

Self Employed Contractor - Tool claim

I want to claim my tool costs purchased. I seem to have forgotten where exactly to input this?

2 Replies

Tools are considered to be of long-lasting value. Therefore, they are entered as Capital Assets (in the CCA section) and are depreciated over time. How much time and at what rate depends on the tool type and cost.

To claim the tools as a business expense::

1. Select Find from the menu and enter self-employment
  2. Select the search result, then select Go
  3. Answer Yes to "Do you have self-employed income and/or expenses to report?", then select Continue
  4. Indicate your category of self-employment, then select Continue
  5. Enter your self-employment business information on the screens that follow, selecting Continue as you finish each screen
  6. Proceed until the "did you have any fixed assets?" screen. Select Continue and enter the amount.
  7. When you’re finished, select Continue. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

- For TurboTax CD/Download version-Enter your claim on the tradesperson’s tools expenses line (1770) of Form T777 (Statement of Employment Expenses).

- For TurboTax Online version - Click on the finders icon (magnifying glass) beside bookmark icon at the top right corner of your screen, then type 'T777' and select the second option which is 'T777 Statement of employment expenses', choose the 'No' option and continue, then, enter the description of the expense(s) you incurred in the box that says 'Specify' and the amount below.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.