Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self employed for 4 months but not planning on filing business expenses, do I still need to choose the 'self-employed' tax filing option?

I moved to Canada in March 2019 and worked freelance (for one company) March-June. I was then employed full time from July-December.

I'm not planning on filing any business expenses for my time as a freelancer. I was living in a house with 5 other people so claiming anything like internet or utilities will be so negligible and my phone wasn't ever used for business purposes. 

I'm planning on using the 'Let us do it' TurboTax filing solution because this is my first time filing Canadian taxes and my situation is a little complicated. The self-employed option for 'Let us do it' costs $80 more than the non-self employed option. Do I still need to select the self-employed option considering it was only for 4 months and I'm not planning on filing business expenses?

1 Reply

Self employed for 4 months but not planning on filing business expenses, do I still need to choose the 'self-employed' tax filing option?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. It is your first time filing, and TurboTax interview approach will guide you along the way, base on information that is entered. If you need additional help, TurboTax has tax experts to guide you with completing your tax return. We have Assist and Review (review the return that you prepare) or Full Service where they can prepare your return for you.

See the link below if you choose to use Assist and Review or Full Service:

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/personal-tax-software/live-catalogue.jsp