Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I enter the gross income and expenses for home based business for each my wife and I, even though I have entered the percent ownership as 50% already?

It's unclear if the software automatically splits the income and expenses 50% for each or if I need to do it manually. For example if the business grosses $10,000 income and $3,000 expenses, do I enter the full amount for each and the software will split 50/50, or do I enter $5,000 and $1,500 for the income and expenses, respectively for each of us? Not sure why the software asks for the % ownership if it isn't automatically splitting the values.

3 Replies

Should I enter the gross income and expenses for home based business for each my wife and I, even though I have entered the percent ownership as 50% already?

If you have entered the information on your tax return and you choose in the software that you are sharing the business with your wife, then we will calculate for you and your wife the right portion.  If you claim CCA, you would have to enter your own portion but the rest of the income and expenses, are divided automatically based on the percentage that you have entered for your wife.   

Thanks Julie. The information needs to be entered for each of us separately, when I just enter it for one of us it gets applied to only that person. When I enter all the info for just one person it gets applied completely to them. This makes me think I need to enter the info for each of us separately.

Have you created a joint return?