Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pc6

Telecommunication expense for employment

I have a cellphone monthly plan for myself but I could have switched to a lower plan because I need some features in current plan for my work. How do I claim this expense? Can I claim partially?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes, you should be able to deduct the cost of those features, but you will need to apportion between person use and work use.

Several things to keep in mind, in order for your cell phone expenses to be deductible:

• your employer signed the T2200 and there is sufficient evidence that the cell phone was required for your employment contract;
  • you can substantiate how much of it was used for your employment;
  • the expenses were reasonable; and
  • the expenses were apportioned between employment and personal.

In this case, if those features were exclusively used for your employment, and you can substantiate that they were, then you would be able to deduct the full amount of those features.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, you should be able to deduct the cost of those features, but you will need to apportion between person use and work use.

Several things to keep in mind, in order for your cell phone expenses to be deductible:

• your employer signed the T2200 and there is sufficient evidence that the cell phone was required for your employment contract;
  • you can substantiate how much of it was used for your employment;
  • the expenses were reasonable; and
  • the expenses were apportioned between employment and personal.

In this case, if those features were exclusively used for your employment, and you can substantiate that they were, then you would be able to deduct the full amount of those features.