Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does the 'other income' section include on the income summary? There was already a number there before I entered my net earnings. Where did that come from?

1 Reply
YenP
Level 3

What does the 'other income' section include on the income summary? There was already a number there before I entered my net earnings. Where did that come from?

Thank you for your question!

The “other income” section included on the income summary before you started your return as you mentioned, is most likely an Employee GST/HST rebate (GST 370 Rebate) showing up on Line 10400.

The employee and partners GST/HST rebate are available to:

• employees who are eligible to deduct employment expenses, if their employer is a GST/HST registrant.  Note that all provincial/territorial governments are GST/HST registrants.

• partners who are eligible to deduct expenses regarding their partnership duties, if the partnership is a GST/HST registrant.

The employee and partner GST/HST rebate is taxable income and must be included in income on line 10400 (line 104 prior to 2019) of your tax return for the year it is received.  So if you've claimed the rebate on your 2019 tax return and received it in 2020, you would include it in your 2020 taxable income.

For more information about the GST/HST Rebate on your expenses, please kindly refer to the link as follow:

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/did-you-know-you-can-claim-the-gst-hst-rebate-on-your-expenses-12072