Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I claim side gig deductions on my Self-Employed tax return? For example; phone and office supply expenditures?

1 Reply

Where can I claim side gig deductions on my Self-Employed tax return? For example; phone and office supply expenditures?

Please follow these steps to claim your deductions:

1. Log in to your TurboTax account
  2. Once inside your return, go to the menu on the left-hand side.
  3. Click on "Income" then "Self-Employment"
  4. Click on "Business and Professional Activities"
  5. Please keep continuing until you reach "let's look at your work expenses" screen.
  6. As you continue, you will see "did you pay for office supplies?". Enter all your office expenses.
  7. Please keep continuing to claim expenses for your phone, until you reach "did you pay for utilities for a business property?". Here is where you claim expenses for your phone. 
  8. Click continue, for more expenses.

Note: Please enter a unique business name. If your business doesn’t have a name, use your own name or a name that identifies the business to you. Same goes for the address put your own address as your business address.

Fore more information, please visit TurboTax FAQs page: Tax Deductions for the Self-Employed

Tax Tip: Cell phone expenses for self-employed individuals and small business owners

The Canada Revenue Agency page: Self-employed Business, Professional, Commission, Farming, and Fishing Income: Chapter 3 – Expenses

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.