You can claim these expenses as Medical Expenses 2020 that must have been paid by you or your spouse or common-law-partner for any of the following persons:
- Yourself, Your spouse, or common-law partner (on Line 33099)
- Your dependant (where dependant can be your or your spouse's child or grandchild or parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, nephews, or nieces who lived in Canada at any time in the year (on Line 33199)
As per the CRA, all regular fees paid for full-time care in the nursing home or training in an institution are eligible as medical expenses, including those for the following:
- nursing care
- administration fees
- maintenance fees, and
- social programming and activities fees
However, extra personal expenses are not eligible.
Please refer to the chart to claim medical expenses and the certification needed to claim them.
Here's the link to calculate the eligible medical expenses on your tax return Lines 33099 and 33199 – Eligible medical expenses you can claim on your tax return
TurboTax has more information on How to Deduct Your Medical Expenses
If you have more questions, we will glad to help you through.
As per CRA, Attendant care costs, including those paid to a nursing home, can be used as medical expense deductions on your tax return.
To claim these expenses:
- You need to include a detailed statement of the nursing home costs.
- Only the portion of your monthly bill used to pay attendant care salaries can be deducted.
- You also need a completed Form T2201 from a qualified medical practitioner to claim attendant care costs.
On TurboTax Online, follow these steps:
- After filling your personal information and dependents form, you'll be directed to the page titled "Tell us more about _ (your dependent)".
- Here, answer "Yes" to the question "Canada Caregiver Amount: Is XXXX dependent on you because of a mental or physical impairment?"
- And then you'll be prompted to complete a Questionnaire, please complete that according to the form T2201.
Also, please read our TurboTax blog on Claiming nursing home expenses.
Thanks for considering TurboTax.