Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stella11
Returning Member

Where do I deduct the cost of a covid test I was required to take for my business travel?

1 Reply

Where do I deduct the cost of a covid test I was required to take for my business travel?

COVID-19 tests

Eligible medical expenses include amounts paid for laboratory, radiological, or other diagnostic procedures or services together with necessary interpretations:

• for maintaining health, preventing disease, or assisting in the diagnosis or treatment of any injury, illness, or disability;
  • for the patient; and
  • as prescribed by a medical practitioner.

Therefore, amounts paid for a COVID-19 test would qualify for the Medical Expense Tax Credit if the test was prescribed by a medical practitioner.

Note: COVID-19 tests, such as those for travel, would still need a prescription, even if they are mandatory.

Related Information:

Details of medical expenses as per CRA

To submit your medical expenses, follow the instructions below:

1. Type medical expenses into the search field by clicking on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner.

2. Select the medical expenses profile from the results list, then click Go to access your 2021 medical profile.

3. Select the medical expenses for which you want to file a claim, then click Continue.

4. The minimal expenses you must claim in order to receive a tax benefit are listed on the next page.

5. If your total exceeds the amount specified, select Enter New Medical Expense.

6. On the next page, you can either input your individual medical bills or the total of all medical expenses.

For more information, please see our FAQ. How do I enter my medical expenses?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.