Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I put expenses for materials and labour that I paid out while doing a job?

I am a self employed contractor and have expenses other than offered in  this software.  I have paid for materials and also paid other contractors to do some of the work.  Is this not the correct app for what I need?
1 Reply

Where do I put expenses for materials and labour that I paid out while doing a job?

Note: For tax year 2022, the ability to report self-employed expenses is only available in the Self-Employed version of TurboTax Online. You can follow these same steps in TurboTax Free, Standard, or Premier for previous tax years.

1. Select Find (or the magnifying glass icon) from the TurboTax menu
  2. In the Find window, type Self-employment, select it from the list of results, then select Go
  3. On the Let’s look at your self-employment income and expenses step, select Check the box if you have self-employed income and expenses to report, then select Continue. If you're preparing your return with a spouse, check the box next to the spouse who's reporting the self-employment expenses
  4. The instructions for this step depend on how much of your return you've completed so far, so follow the instructions below that match what you see on-screen:
    1. If you see the Your Self-Employment or Business Summary step and want to enter business expenses for a business not listed on-screen, select Enter New Business, then follow the instructions to reach the expenses section
    2. If you see the Your Self-Employment or Business Summary step and want to enter business expenses for a business listed on-screen, select Edit next to that business, then follow the instructions to reach the expenses section
    3. If you see the What kind of self-employment work do you do? step, answer the question, then select Continue. Follow the instructions to reach the expenses section
  5. You've finished the expenses section when you reach the Did you have any fixed assets? step

Thank you for choosing TurboTax!