Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaun1
Returning Member

Can I claim the cost of a CPR course my wife took for her small business?

My wife runs a small business geared towards kids 0-7 years of age.  She took a CPR course in case of emergencies.  Can I claim the cost of this and if so, where?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If the course your wife took cost over $100, and she took it to obtain skills for, or improve their skills in, an occupation, she can claim a Tuition Tax Credit for it. In order for you to get the credit for it, your wife must first include the "tuition slip" on her return, then only if she does not need it to reduce her own tax payable, can she transfer it to you.

In TurboTax go to Deductions > Students > Tuition Fees; or use the Find feature and search for Tuition Fees. If your wife does not need to use the credit, TurboTax will automatically transfer the amount to your return (if you are preparing them together).

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If the course your wife took cost over $100, and she took it to obtain skills for, or improve their skills in, an occupation, she can claim a Tuition Tax Credit for it. In order for you to get the credit for it, your wife must first include the "tuition slip" on her return, then only if she does not need it to reduce her own tax payable, can she transfer it to you.

In TurboTax go to Deductions > Students > Tuition Fees; or use the Find feature and search for Tuition Fees. If your wife does not need to use the credit, TurboTax will automatically transfer the amount to your return (if you are preparing them together).