Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Louie

Can I deduct unused AB Provincial Tuition, Education, Textbook amounts when filing BC taxes? I now work in BC.

Can I deduct unused Alberta Provincial Tuition, Education, and Textbook amounts when filing BC taxes? I have unused Alberta Provincial Tuition, Education, and Textbook amounts but now work in BC. When I change the province of residence, it looks like the unused AB Provincial TET amounts do not apply for BC. Can they be used in BC? (The AB amount is shown on my 2016 NOA). If so, do I have to override TurboTax to put them into the BC Schedule 11?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I deduct unused AB Provincial Tuition, Education, Textbook amounts when filing BC taxes? I now work in BC.

The rules differ in some provinces, but since you have moved to BC, then you would enter the Federal carry forward amount on your Notice Assessment as your provincial carry forward amount.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

The rules differ in some provinces, but since you have moved to BC, then you would enter the Federal carry forward amount on your Notice Assessment as your provincial carry forward amount.

Louie

Thanks. So does that mean that I lose any unused AB TET amounts (have $15000) that exceed the Federal carry forward amount (have only $2900)?

Unfortunately, yes.
Louie

Thanks for the confirmation