Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you tell me is there no tax benefit in MB for using part of your home for self employed working from home? When I submit all the numbers nothing changes in my refund.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can you tell me is there no tax benefit in MB for using part of your home for self employed working from home? When I submit all the numbers nothing changes in my refund.

When claiming Business Use Of Home expenses on a T2125-Business Statement, and you have already reduced your business income to zero, or are in a loss situation (expenses exceed income), your Home Expenses cannot be used to create or increase a loss. Regardless of which province you reside in. 

From the following CRA information:

"The amount you can deduct for business use of home expenses cannot be more than your net income from the business before you deduct these expenses. In other words, you cannot use these expenses to increase or create a business loss".

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/sole-proprietorships-partners...

View solution in original post

1 Reply

When claiming Business Use Of Home expenses on a T2125-Business Statement, and you have already reduced your business income to zero, or are in a loss situation (expenses exceed income), your Home Expenses cannot be used to create or increase a loss. Regardless of which province you reside in. 

From the following CRA information:

"The amount you can deduct for business use of home expenses cannot be more than your net income from the business before you deduct these expenses. In other words, you cannot use these expenses to increase or create a business loss".

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/sole-proprietorships-partners...