Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing RESP withdrawal type to reduce taxes

I requested an RESP withdrawal for my child.  The financial institution did not ask what portion/type of the RESP total we wanted to withdraw.  I made the assumption they would split it between the EAP (grants/earnings) and our contributions (from our taxed income contributions)  They did not and the full amount withdrawn was classified as an EAP and now my daughter owes a lot of tax.  If we had split the amount up and taken out some from the EAP and some from our contributions then the tax owed would have been minimal.  Is there any way now to change the type of RESP that was issued from the bank so that it reduces her actual income from the T4A and thus reduces her taxes owed

1 Reply

Changing RESP withdrawal type to reduce taxes

Unfortunately, when doing your taxes, the information has to be entered as seen on the information slip as that information has already been entered in your file at the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). You may wish to discuss this with the institution who filed the information slip or the CRA themselves by calling them at 1-800-959-8281.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.