Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdugolini

Completing a return for a couple where one spouse died 07/20. The software asks me for the deceased net income and pension splitting during the information collection

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Completing a return for a couple where one spouse died 07/20. The software asks me for the deceased net income and pension splitting during the information collection

You can still split a pension with a deceased taxpayer in the year of death, and it depends on the amounts of pension received by either of you which will be most beneficial.

TurboTax and many other software will not allow the returns to be prepared together because one spouse's marital status will be 'married' (at time of death) and the other spouse will be widowed (Dec 31) 

We are sorry for your loss. .You will have to manually calculate the best split. If the other spouse does not have pension income that qualifies for the pension income amount.

When preparing the final return of your deceased spouse/partner, you can still transfer pension income to or from the return. You may wish to first determine the optimal pension split amount using TurboTax’s Pension Splitting Optimizer

You might also find this link helpful: 

How do I file a final return for someone who has passed away?

Please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter if you require further assistance.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You can still split a pension with a deceased taxpayer in the year of death, and it depends on the amounts of pension received by either of you which will be most beneficial.

TurboTax and many other software will not allow the returns to be prepared together because one spouse's marital status will be 'married' (at time of death) and the other spouse will be widowed (Dec 31) 

We are sorry for your loss. .You will have to manually calculate the best split. If the other spouse does not have pension income that qualifies for the pension income amount.

When preparing the final return of your deceased spouse/partner, you can still transfer pension income to or from the return. You may wish to first determine the optimal pension split amount using TurboTax’s Pension Splitting Optimizer

You might also find this link helpful: 

How do I file a final return for someone who has passed away?

Please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter if you require further assistance.