Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does my daughter who is 19 studying in US university as an undergraduate student with no income need to file her own income tax and claim for tuition & education amounts?

My daughter is Canadian citizenship and she is 19 years old. She began to study in Uuiversity of California as a full time undergraduate student in 2016. She has not been working so far and does not have any income since 2016. We paid her tuition and other education fees for 2016 and 2017 academic year.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Does my daughter who is 19 studying in US university as an undergraduate student with no income need to file her own income tax and claim for tuition & education amounts?

She should still be filing her own tax return to claim the tuition credits available for her. They will carry forward if she has no income or doesn't transfer the credits to you. The tax return is also how one applies for the GST rebate. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

She should still be filing her own tax return to claim the tuition credits available for her. They will carry forward if she has no income or doesn't transfer the credits to you. The tax return is also how one applies for the GST rebate.