Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does turbo tax take marriage separation date into account for ex spouses income amount so it is prorated and I don't get less money back because of their income amount?

Why is turbo tax asking for full income amount for my ex spouse from line 236? If we separated within the year should it not ask for income amount up to date of separation only?

1 Reply

Does turbo tax take marriage separation date into account for ex spouses income amount so it is prorated and I don't get less money back because of their income amount?

TurboTax collects the information about the former spouse but it is only applied if your separation falls under the 90 day rule. In order to claim separated and not have the ex-spouse's income included in tax calculations, you must be separated for more than 90 days. There's no pro-ration; the former spouse's income is either considered or it's not applied at all.

So, if you were separated for more than 90 days in 2018, the income won't come into play at all. However the info is required to proceed in your return.