Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emirabecu

Hello - Is Corporate Training an eligible education expense? I paid for Corporate Training out of pocket in 2023.

I work as a temp/contract employee so I pay for my own training and medical & dental insurance.
3 Replies

Hello - Is Corporate Training an eligible education expense? I paid for Corporate Training out of pocket in 2023.

Did you receive a T2202 information slip?

Please see our TurboTax article: Canada Training Credit

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

emirabecu

Hello - No I did not receive a T2202 tax form. The corporate trainer is called Think Business Training and it is not accredited. Could I claim what I paid for corporate training (in 2023) as an education expense?

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA): Training costs – You can deduct the cost of a training course as an employment expense. The course has to maintain, upgrade, or update your existing skills or qualifications that relate to your employment.

You cannot deduct the cost of a training course as an employment expense if the course is for personal reasons, the cost is unreasonable, or you receive a lasting benefit from the course. For example, you receive a lasting benefit when you take a course to get a credit towards a degree, diploma, professional qualification, or similar certificate.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.