Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, I am confused with my daughter's tuition which I want to defer, but there is no option and if I claim it her refund significantly drops

1 Reply

Hi, I am confused with my daughter's tuition which I want to defer, but there is no option and if I claim it her refund significantly drops

This may be happening because you have applied for the Canada Workers Benefit (CWB). When you claim the tuition the CWB is not allowed as seen in this TurboTax FAQ: Applying for the Canada Workers Benefit: You do not qualify for the CWB in the following situations:

• You are a full-time student at a designated college or university, at least 13 weeks in the tax year, and you do not have a qualifying dependant.

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA): You have to first claim your current year’s federal tuition fees and any unused tuition, education, and textbook amounts carried forward from previous years on your Income Tax and Benefit Return, even if someone else paid your fees. The amount you must use on your own tax return is equal to the amount of credit required to reduce the taxes you owe. 

For more information please see our TurboTax FAQ: How do I claim my tuition fees?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.