Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maramyan1

Hi. I have moved away from Canada in 2023 and also got married in 2023. I simply want to claim the tuition fee and get any student related tax benefits.

I just want to know how should I file my tax return.
5 Replies

Hi. I have moved away from Canada in 2023 and also got married in 2023. I simply want to claim the tuition fee and get any student related tax benefits.

You will first need to verify your status as seen in our TurboTax article: Tax Information for International Students in Canada. If you need help with this and your eligibility for the tuition credit, please call the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) 1-800-959-8281.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

maramyan1

Hi There,  

I am a Canadian Citizen, not an international student. I just want to know how to file the tuition I paid for the past year since I moved and got married. Just claiming non-refundable tax credits and Canadian training credit. 

Do you have a dual citizenship? We recommend that you contact the CRA at 1 (800) 959-8281 to make sure that you are entering the proper status in Canada as you moved away and got married. If they or you know for sure that you are indeed a Canadian citizen and not a deemed resident then you will need to complete your tax return as a regular tax return- You will need your T2202 or T11 from the school and any other income you have received during the 2023 tax year, T-slips and any other receipts which you will need to prove what you are claiming. When using TurboTax it's an easy step-by-step answer to every question. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

maramyan1

That's correct, I have dual citizenship. In case I have non-resident status how can I file my taxes?

Once you speak with the CRA and determine your status then you will complete your return with the same TurboTax software, you will answer every question and make sure that your proper Canadian status is entered.