Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I indicate that my dependant was a student in 2021 so I can Transfer Tution to my return. Doing a ReFile.

I'm doing a ReFile in order to use my childs unused Tution Fees - Transfer of Tution fees. The software wants me to indicated that my dependant was/is a student. Can't find where to indicate that my dependant is a student under dependants information.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How can I indicate that my dependant was a student in 2021 so I can Transfer Tution to my return. Doing a ReFile.

On the left In TurboTax Online, click Deduction, and select Additional Dependant Info, you can indicate whether your dependant is a student or not.

And then you can:

1. Select Find, enter claims for dependants into the search field, and then select Go
  2. On the Claims for Dependants step, select Yes to Would you like to review or claim any of these credits?, then select Continue
  3. On the Your children and other dependants step, select Enter Credit Info next to the dependant transferring their amount to you
  4. On the Claim Dependant Credits step, select Transfer my child’s tuition and education amounts, then select Continue

For more information, please click:

TurboTax How do I claim the amount for full-time post-secondary studies (RL-8)?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

On the left In TurboTax Online, click Deduction, and select Additional Dependant Info, you can indicate whether your dependant is a student or not.

And then you can:

1. Select Find, enter claims for dependants into the search field, and then select Go
  2. On the Claims for Dependants step, select Yes to Would you like to review or claim any of these credits?, then select Continue
  3. On the Your children and other dependants step, select Enter Credit Info next to the dependant transferring their amount to you
  4. On the Claim Dependant Credits step, select Transfer my child’s tuition and education amounts, then select Continue

For more information, please click:

TurboTax How do I claim the amount for full-time post-secondary studies (RL-8)?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Hi Tom

Thanks.

That worked great.