Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KT3

How can I make the minimum payment to HBP if I did not contribute to RRSP in 2018? It is currently showing up as income.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How can I make the minimum payment to HBP if I did not contribute to RRSP in 2018? It is currently showing up as income.

If you didn't contribute to your RRSP, the amount you're due to repay will convert to taxable RRSP income.

The good news is that you still have time to make that contribution. The deadline to contribute to your RRSP is March 1, 2019. So, if you make an RRSP contribution next week that's large enough to cover the HBP repayment, you'll be able to designate that contribution as your HBP repayment on your 2018 tax return.

Here's a link for more information: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/rrsps-related-plans/what-hom...

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If you didn't contribute to your RRSP, the amount you're due to repay will convert to taxable RRSP income.

The good news is that you still have time to make that contribution. The deadline to contribute to your RRSP is March 1, 2019. So, if you make an RRSP contribution next week that's large enough to cover the HBP repayment, you'll be able to designate that contribution as your HBP repayment on your 2018 tax return.

Here's a link for more information: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/rrsps-related-plans/what-hom...

Does this happen automatically, or am I supposed to enter the amount I need to repay this year someplace?