Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I use my tuition fees to get mroe tax refund?

I want the maximum tax refund possible for this year, using my tuition fees.
2 Replies

The Tuition Tax Credit is a non-refundable tax credit available to post-secondary students and is a percentage of your total costs, including tuition and eligible fees which is equal to the tax rate for the lowest federal tax bracket, which in 2023 is 15%This lowers your tax bill, either now or in the future.

Follow these steps to claim tuition tax credit:

1. Ensure you have received the T2202 Certificate (a form outlining your eligible costs) from your educational institution in Canada, or the TL11ATL11C or TL11D from a school in another country. 
  2. When filing your taxes, enter the tuition amount from your paperwork on line 32300 of your Schedule 11. Indicate your student status in the personal information section and fill in the details from your T2202 or other tuition form for schedule 11.
  3. If the amount of your tuition tax credit is more than you can apply to your taxes this year, that means you have a remainder. You can also transfer some of this remainder to a spouse or other eligible family member, such as a parent or grandparent, for them to use as a tax credit. In a single year, you can transfer a maximum of $5,000 minus the amount you used to lower your own taxes.
  4. If there is a remainder after that, then carry forward that amount by filling out the rest of Schedule 11. 

For more understanding, you can visit the page "Understanding the Tuition Tax Credit in Canada: All You Need to Know".

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

For steps on how to claim your tuition fees, please see our TurboTax FAQ: How do I claim my tuition fees?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.