Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alex_k

How do I assign contributions made in the first 60 days of 2022 as a repayment for the home buyer's plan for 2022?

I wanted to completely pay off my Home Buyer's Plan in 2022.
So I over-contributed to my RRSP during the first 60 days of 2022.
Now I want to assign the excess as a repayment for the Home Buyer's Plan for 2022 but TurboTax considers those contributions as if they were from 2021 and, therefore, it won't let me.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
alex_k

How do I assign contributions made in the first 60 days of 2022 as a repayment for the home buyer's plan for 2022?

3 different people at TurboTax gave me the same answer: "You did this wrong, you should have declared this in 2021. Now your only option is to re-file your 2021 tax return".

I ended up doing my research and it turns out that it's TurboTax that doesn't support this scenario.

CRA clearly allows this and just looking at the dates shown on Schedule 7 proves it.

It's just that TurboTax has not implemented this use case.

I ended up filing my taxes with anothe software, which does support this scenario.

I just can't believe TurboTax is giving wrong tax advice, making it seem like I was doing something wrong when it's just a matter of how the software works.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

RRSP contributions made in the first 60 days of 2022 are reported on your 2021 return, so you would need to adjust your 2021 return to do this. This TurboTax FAQ tells you how you can change your filed return: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/tax-return-amendment/help/i-have-filed-my-tax-return-...

alex_k

3 different people at TurboTax gave me the same answer: "You did this wrong, you should have declared this in 2021. Now your only option is to re-file your 2021 tax return".

I ended up doing my research and it turns out that it's TurboTax that doesn't support this scenario.

CRA clearly allows this and just looking at the dates shown on Schedule 7 proves it.

It's just that TurboTax has not implemented this use case.

I ended up filing my taxes with anothe software, which does support this scenario.

I just can't believe TurboTax is giving wrong tax advice, making it seem like I was doing something wrong when it's just a matter of how the software works.